Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What about the pet homes?

It's not exactly a secret that Jon and I have been doing breeder research to add a Boxer puppy to our pack of pups. I must say that this whole search has been incredibly aggrivating amd has shown me a lot of what the "show dog world" is all about. I must say I'm disgusted.
I've done all the research, I've contacted all the top kennels, and I have asked all the questions. I've had my name on many wait lists, and have this week decided to remove myself and say to Hell with it. I am not a show home, and probably never will be. I'm sick and tired of these show breeders treating me like crap because I have no desire to take our puppy through to her Championship, and definately no desire to be the owner of a breeding female. I've ben approved as a pet home from every breeder I've contacted, but will only get a puppy "if they have something low quality" and "probably not from a planned litter." This is entirely stupid.
I can respect a breeding program that betters the breed and whatnot, but quite frankly what the Hell good does a bunch of perfect dogs do, if they never go into the pet homes across the country? It's like these poor animals are being bred for the SOLE purpose of the breeder taking them into the ring and saying "look what I made."
By denying pet homes a beautiful, well-bred puppy, it only encourages people to go to backyard breeders because they're the only way to go if you don't want to be discriminated against for not being a show home, and to not have to wait years before a top kennel has a puppy not worthy of the show ring. Unfortunately the results here are a poorly-bred puppy bound to have a million health problems bred into them.
Lucky for me in my search I stumbled across Legendary Boxers in Moroni, UT and have been treated wonderful. Finally, a breeder who produces show quality puppies, has 9 home bred champions in only 11 years of breeding, and is more than willing to place a show quality puppy in a pet home because it is what is BEST FOR THE PUPPY, and not "best for the kennel name." Very refreshing to see a breeding program about the welfare of every puppy produced, and not all about improving the kennel name.
I always thought I eventually want to breed Boxers, and show them, but these show breeders just aren't my group of people. So, Jon and I might not have our puppy quite as soon as we hoped, we will wait for our Legendary Boxer puppy, and it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment